Ocean Bound Plastic (OBP) is abandoned plastic waste on its way to our oceans. OBP is a critical element in the fight against oceanic plastic pollution.
It is estimated that 80% of the ocean’s plastic contamination originated from land. Focusing on capturing OBP before it becomes ocean plastic is therefore a direct and very effective way to limit the damage our oceans are suffering. The goal of this certification is to encourage the capture of OBP by giving it an additional value and recognition in the market.
Control Union can provide certification for:
1. Collectors (organizations collecting OBP in the environment)
2. Financiers (organizations paying for the collection of OBP in the environment)
3. Recyclers (organizations in the plastic recycling value chain up to the fabrication of plastic packaging and consumer products)
As an organization (collectors, financiers and plastic industrials) working with OBP, you need to guarantee that your products truly are, or originate from OBP. You also require to pass this guarantee onto the end user by providing proof of origin. This is all accomplished via the Ocean Bound Plastic Certification.
Control Union Bulgaria is delivering OBP- OCEAN BOUND PLASTIC certification services on behalf of Control Union Certifications B.V.
How you benefit
The certification of the amount of OBP you have prevented, supports your environmental claims and ESG certifications and rating. It also backs up your neutrality towards Ocean Plastic Contamination or even better your global Plastic Neutrality.
Getting certified under the OBP-certification allows you to:
- access higher value markets and environmentally conscious consumers
- be a proactive actor of ocean’s protection and preserve biodiversity
- have a positive social impact generating livelihood creation within vulnerable communities
The certification was co-developed by Peterson and the NGO Zero Plastic Oceans