The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) was founded in 2010 by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and the Dutch Sustainable Trade Initiative (IDH) to provide a world-leading certification programme for the aquaculture industry. It covers a wide variety of aquaculture processes globally, and considers both the environmental and social aspects of farming to ensure responsible production. An ASC certified product must also be certified to the Chain of Custody (CoC) standard. This provides rules for the purchase, processing and sale of certified ASC products.
ASC standards cover the following principles:
- Legal compliance (obeying the law, the legal right to be there).
- Preservation of the natural environment and biodiversity.
- Preservation of water resources.
- Preservation of the diversity of species and wild populations (e.g., preventing escapes which could pose a threat to wild fish).
- Responsible use of animal feed and other resources.
- Animal health (no unnecessary use of antibiotics and chemicals).
- Social responsibility (e.g. no child labour, health and safety of workers, freedom of assembly, community relations).
How you benefit
Fish consumption is increasing as the need for protein-rich food grows. Facts show that eating fish is generally healthier and more affordable – and arguably better for the environment – compared to meat consumption. Consumers nowadays demand responsible aquaculture. The ASC focuses on environmental and social aspects.
- Benefits for ASC certificate holders include maintenance of the existing market position and the potential to tap into new ones.
- Benefits for people who depend on fish farming include the promotion of responsible fish farm management and contributions to the livelihoods of communities.
- Benefit for consumers include making conscious and responsible choices easier.
Control Union Peru, is a certification body that carries out inspections, audits, verifications and certifications of various programs. It is accredited by ASI (Accreditation Services International) for the ASC and MSC CoC programs.
Control Union Peru has a staff of qualified auditors worldwide, allowing us to make our work more efficient and profitable for our clients.
If you would like more information, please contact any of the local Control Union offices or click here and to read our Terms & Conditions click here